- uses a list of banned words or objectionable terms. As the page is downloading, the filter searches for any of these words. If found, it will block the page completely, stop downloading the page, block the banned words and even shut down the browser.
WEB RATING SYSTEMS
-Web sites are rated in terms of nudity, sex, violence and language.
- ratings done either by the web page author or by the independent bureau.
- browsers set to only accept pages with certain levels of ratings.
• software company maintains a list of ‘dubious Internet sites’
• the software prevents access to any sites on this list
• ‘denial lists’ regularly updated
• some software provides control over what categories of information you block